Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Scottish Highlands Festival Loon Mt. NH 9/17/2011







On a beautiful Saturday morning, I woke the kids up early so we could get up to Loon Mountain and enjoy the Scottish Highland Games with their Aunt Jenn. The kids were looking forward to sleeping in on their second weekend into school, but that wasn't to be. We all got up bright and early, stopped by DnD and headed on our way. What a BEAUTIFUL ride! We took Rt. 302 through Windham-Bridgton-Fryburg, Maine, then into NH onto the Kancamagus Highway, and it became even more beautiful! The Kancamagus takes you up and through the White Mountains, and the a few of the trees were just starting to turn colors. A river follows the road most of the way. I wish I would have had time to take pictures, but I wanted to meet Jenn at the scheduled time, and on the way home I wanted to make it through before dark. It is a very twisty and curvy road. At one point there was a "hairpin" turn, with signs warning you of it ahead.



We met up with Jenn just inside the gate and proceeded to Clan Village to take a look around. We checked out the food, and then went to the watch the cabor toss in the Heavy Games . After that we went to the music tent and listened to Albannach, which I loved. It was all drums and one bag piper. After finding something we all would eat, we went back to the heavy games to watch the end of the competition. We didn't want to miss The Red Hot Chili Pipers, so we headed back that way, stopping to watch the Scottish Dancers in their competion. We found a little space in the back of the packed tent for the Chili Pipers, and it was standing room only. They played rock and roll, AC/DC, Journey, etc., but I found I like Albannach better. After a big ol' brownie sunday, it was time to say goodbye so we could make it down the mountain by sundown. It was a great day, I do regret not taking Dominic up on the ski lift/gondola, but I promise myself, and him, that we will do it next year. And yes, we are already planning on going again next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment